Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Love your breakfast

I love finding healthy ideas for meals. Dinner recipes are everywhere, but I often forget about breakfast. I usually end up slipping into the habit of grabbing a granola bar or eating a bowl of (sugary kids) cereal. The time to break those habits is now!

Breakfast is so important people. The reasons why go on and on, but my favorite reasons: you'll be more energetic and awake throughout the day and you'll boost your metabolism. Don't skimp on breakfast. This is the best time to fill up, remember you're burning calories all day long!

I found and tried some of these fabulous healthy breakfast recipes. I dare you to try them: (About 350 calories)

Mediterranean Wrap

Whisk 1 egg and 2 egg whites with 1 tbsp of water. Pour eggs into a nonstick skillet (coated with cooking spray) and scramble over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup baby spinach, 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (I left that one out, ew), 1/4 c reduced-fat cheese (try feta), and 1/4 c chopped tomato. Lightly fold into eggs until spinach wilts. Fill one warmed whole-wheat wrap with egg mixture.

Banana-Pecan Cereal

Top 1 1/4 cups whole grain flake cereal (Post Bran Flakes) with 3/4 cup skim milk (I substituted vanilla soy milk), 1/2 medium banana sliced, 1 tbsp chopped pecans, and cinnamon. You can also substitute yogurt for milk to make a thick mix.

Southwest Frittata

Whisk 1 egg pluss 2 egg whites in a bowl. add 2 tbsp shredded reduced-fat cheese, 1/3 cup corn (thawed or frozen), 1/3 cup black beans and 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro. Saute 1/4 c chopped red bell pepper and 1/3 cup chopped onion with 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet until veggies are soft, about 3 minutes. Add egg mixture to pan and cover until eggs are set, about 8 minutes. Serve with 1/4 cup salsa.

Apple-Cheddar Melt

Spread half a 3-oz whole wheat bagel with 2 tbsp plain hummus. Top with 3 slices apple and 1 slice reduced-fat cheddar. Broil until cheese is golden and melted, 1 minute. Serve with a cafe au lait made with 6 oz skim milk and 6 oz coffee. (You can use swiss cheese in place of cheddar.)

Pineapple-Ginger Parfait

Layer 6 oz nonfat plain Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger, 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (canned in juice, drained), 1 tbsp sliced almonds and 1/4 cup granola. (Pineapple hurts my mouth so I replaced it with berries, and it was delish!)

*TIP* I have found the best way to stay consistent on eating healthy is to plan out my meals for the week ahead of time (I try to do it on Saturdays) and then go grocery shopping for everything I'll need for that week.

AND REMEMBER healthy snacking in between meals. Stay away from the sugars and sodas. I have a great list of healthy sweets I'll share with you all soon, so if you need to get your sweet kick you'll have some options!

I'm still working on perfecting this, so let's all work on it together, yes? Next post I'll share some healthy lunch recipes.

This feels soooo much better then dieting. Stick with it, you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment